Sierra Valley Preserve -2019/2020 Season
Youth Hunt: The third annual local Youth Hunt at Sierra Valley Preserve is scheduled for Saturday, February 8th. To learn more and participate please contact Dave Valle at 530-832-0347.
Feather River Land Trust is partnering with the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, and local Sierra Valley waterfowl hunters for five weekends of limited access, public hunting on a portion of the Sierra Valley Preserve. Hunting will be restricted to waterfowl on a pre-selected 500 acre portion of the preserve. This public hunting trial is part of the SHARE program (Shared Habitat and Recreational Enhancement). Information on how to apply can be found on the SHARE website portal.
The Sierra Valley Preserve is privately owned by the Feather River Land Trust, a local, non-profit conservation organization. Hunting is only allowed by permission from the land owner and through the SHARE program. This trial hunt project is also supported by local Sierra Valley waterfowl hunters who will be available during the SHARE hunt days to offier tips and orient hunters to the Preserve.
The Feather River Land Trust conserves and manages publically important lands with the generous support of people like you. Consider becoming a member today to support upper watershed conservation in this rural and beautiful part of California. No donation is too small or too large to help us achieve our mission. Learn more.
2019/2020 SHARE Dates
Public Hunt Days for SHARE hunters are: December 6-8, December 13-15, January 3-5, January 17-19, January 24-26
****Hunting Guidelines--Read and Print****
- You are hunting beautiful, raw, undeveloped marshland land in Plumas County on the Middle Fork of the Feather River in the Sierra Valley just ~ 2miles south of the small town Beckwourth, CA, accessed off of County Road A23.
- To best prepare for your hunt call 530-616-8542 the Wednesday before your hunt to get updated information. If no answer, leave a voicemail and FRLT staff will return your call ASAP.
- Required orientation on the Friday before the hunt at 3:30 pm at the Bulson Corral located on County Road A-23 (directions below).
- Your hunt is valid for both Saturday and Sunday with shoot times one-half hour before sunrise and end by 3:30pm.
- Make sure you have your hunting license, state & federal stamps, and non-toxic shotshells (lead free ammo). Bring both duck and goose loads. There is no limit on the number of shells. Pick up your brass and leave no trace.
- All state and federal hunting regulations and limits apply with the following exception: NO Redheads may be shot of the property.
- Be prepared to walk up to a mile through vegetation, or snow, to get to the hunting ponds or areas along river channels.You’ll have to carry your decoys & gear, or use a sled or cart.
- No motorized vehicle access to hunting area. You'll have to carry your decoys & gear, or use a sled or cart.
- READ the rest of the Hunting Guidelines here (printable).
Directions to the Preserve
The Sierra Valley Preserve is located in Plumas County near the small town of Beckwourth, CA. From the junction of CA Highway 70 and County Road A-23 the preserve is 2.6 miles south. Travel down A-23 looking for an ATV tours sign after driving 2 miles. Make a left turn at approximatley 2.6 miles into a gated dirt access road.