Waterfowl Hunting on the Sierra Valley Preserve -2018/2019 Season Closed
Update: The last hunt of the season, a local Youth Hunt, was held on February 3rd. The Sierra Valley Preserve is now closed to all hunting for the season.
Feather River Land Trust is partnering with the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, and local Sierra Valley waterfowl hunters for five weekends of limited access, public hunting on a portion of the Sierra Valley Preserve. Hunting will be restricted to waterfowl on a pre-selected 500 acre portion of the preserve. This public hunting trial is part of the SHARE program (Shared Habitat and Recreational Enhancement). Information on how to apply can be found on the SHARE website portal.
The Sierra Valley Preserve is privately owned by the Feather River Land Trust, a local, non-profit conservation organization. Hunting is only allowed by permission from the land owner and through the SHARE program application and selection. This trial hunt project is also supported by local Sierra Valley waterfowl hunters who will be available during the SHARE hunt days to offier tips and orient hunters to the Preserve.
The Feather River Land Trust conserves and manages publically important lands with the generous support of people like you. Consider becoming a member today to support upper watershed conservation in this rural and beautiful part of California. No donation is too small or too large to help us achieve our mission. Learn more.
Season Closed for 2018/19
Public Hunt Days for SHARE hunters were: November 17-18, December 8-9, December 22-23, January 5-6, and January 19-20.
****Hunting Guidelines--Read and Print****
- You are hunting beautiful, raw, undeveloped marshland land in Plumas County on the Middle Fork of the Feather River in the Sierra Valley just south (3.5 miles) of the small town Beckwourth, CA, accessed off of County Road A23. (Lat: 39474.55N Long: 1202244.19W).
- Conditions (water depth, snow, ice, and bird numbers) vary throughout the season on the Preserve. To best prepare for your hunt call (530-283-5758 ext 1 or Cell 530-394-0364) the Wednesday before your hunt to get updated information. Please call before 5pm.
- Required orientation on the Friday before the hunt at 3:30 pm at the Bolson Corral located on County Road A-23 (directions below).
- Your hunt is valid for both Saturday and Sunday with shoot times one-half hour before sunrise and end by 3pm.
- Make sure you have your hunting license, state & federal stamps, and non-toxic shotshells (lead free ammo). Bring both duck and goose loads. There is no limit on the number of shells.
- All state and federal hunting regulations and limits apply with the following exception: no redheads may be shot on the property.
- Be prepared to walk up to a mile through vegetation, or snow, to get to the hunting ponds or areas along river channels.You’ll have to carry your decoys & gear, or use a sled or cart.
- No motorized vehicle access to hunting area.
- READ the rest of the Hunting Guidelines here (printable).
Directions to the Preserve
The Sierra Valley Preserve is located in Plumas County near the small town of Beckwourth, CA. From the junction of CA Highway 70 and County Road A-23 the preserve is 2.6 miles south. Travel down A-23 looking for an ATV tours sign after driving 2 miles. Make a left turn at approximatley 2.6 miles into a gated dirt access road.